13 January 2011

Nasi beryani

I was tempted to make nasi beryani after I watched Best Wan in AFC Astro Channel 703. However, I modified some of the ingredients in that I substituted them with the ones that I had in the kitchen.  I guess  bachelors out there can also prepare it as it can be eaten on its own also (especially at the end of month when you're running out of money). In the recipe below, it could be better if you could use basmati rice. Yet, I cooked it after I performed Maghreb prayer. So you can expect that I needed to use whatever that I had  at hands because my husband and the kids would be dining after Isya'. Here are what you need to have to cook the rice


Ingredients
1 cups rice, washed and drained (use 1 3/4 water as the ratio to cook the rice = 1:1 3/4)
3-4 tbsp margarine (use to saute) 
4 onions, peeled and sliced
2 garlic, peeled and sliced
1 lemongrass, bruised
1 bulb  ginger, finely sliced into small strips
1 screw pine leaf or daun pandan, shredded and knotted
2 of chicken stock (I used Knorr)
 2 scoops of evaporated milk
a hand-full of raisins
a hand-full almond (supposedly cashew nuts are more appropriate)
bawang goreng (crisped fried shallots) for garnish
banana leaves (enough to cover pot)
salt to taste
3 Cloves
3 Cardamom Pods
3 Star Anise
1 Cinnamon Stick


Procedures for cooking:
In electric cooker, melt margerine and sauté the cloves, cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon sticks. Add in onions, ginger, lemongrass and daun pandan and fry till golden .Add in raisins. Add in rice and stir gently. Then, add chicken stock, almond nuts/cashew nuts, salt, evaporated milk. Cover the rice with banana leaves, then cover the pot and cook till rice is tender. Serve it hot. For garnishing, spread raisins and almond nuts/ cheshew nuts. If you have green bean you may also spread some. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment