09 January 2011

Asam Pedas Ikan Tenggiri

Ikan Tenggiri is a type of mackerel fish. I choose ikan tenggiri for asam pedam because I think it tastes better compared to other fish. Well, of course ikan tenggiri is not able to challenge ikan pari or  eagle ray when it comes to cooking asam pedas. I brought all the ingredients from pekan sehari the other day. Since it is Sunday, I guess I cook something which I really long to eat. I always love asam pedas ;-). Asam pedas that is displayed here doesn't taste that sour or spicy as the one sold in restaurants. It's because the children would be eating it. Thus, I need to adjust it taste. My children of ages 7, 4 and 1 and a half yrs, just want the gravy or the soup. So, here's the ingredients to cook my version of 'a minimalist asam pedas'.

Ingredients: 
1. A kg of ikan tenggiri
2. 7 lady fingers
3. 2 tomatoes
4. 5 tbsp of asam jawa (it may be substituted with asam keping/ gelugor)*
* see here for what asam gelugor is
5. 6 cups of water
6. a pinch of salt
7. 3 stems of viatnamese leaves
8. 3 onions and 1 garlic
9. 2-3 tbsp grind chilli

Procedures:
1. Saute garlic, onions and grind chilli
2. Pour in water
3. Add in ikan tenggiri
4. Let it boil for 10 minutes or so
5. Add viatnames leaves and lady fingers
6. Again let it boil for 5 minutes. Just to make sure lady fingers are a little sear.
7. Add in salt
8. Turn-off the stove

Asam pedas is a dish that you eat together with rice. It's my favourite because it is spicy yet sour. Also, I always love to put more lady fingers in it. Do try the recipe here with these simply step-by-step what you need to do in preparing one.

No comments:

Post a Comment