26 February 2011

Laksam

 Seceduk bancuhan yang diletakkan diatas tudung periuk 

Bancuhan yang kurang pekat spt. yg disarankan dari resepi asal


 Laksam yang telah siap digulung

Sepinggan laksam 

Last two weeks I cooked laksam. The recipe was taken from a magazine, Mingguan Wanita printed in 2009 if was not mistaken. Indeed, it was really easy to make the laksam. Yet, I still could remember the way my mother  cooked it. The recipe couldn't challenge my mom's, though. Now, here's the recipe. 

Ingredients for the laksam itself: 
  1. 2 cups of wheat flour
  2. 2 cups of rice flour
  3. 2 cups of water 
  4. salt to taste
Procedure of cooking laksam:
  1. In a bowl, mix wheat flour, rice flour, water and salt (henceforth I named it as laksam mixture)
  2. Stir it to ensure all ingredients are mixed well
  3. Heat steamer
  4. Using a pot cover (small cover pot that can fit into the steamer), pour one ladle of laksam mixture
  5. Wait for only 5 minutes or so for it to be cooked 
  6. Once you remove the cover pot from the steamer, place it on a table or floor. It's time to fold the laksam. I use my fingers and a spoon to fold it. Be extra careful because it is really hot. Yet, I suggest that you fold the laksam while it is still hot. 
Ingredients for laksam's gravy : 
  1. 1/2 kg or a kilo of fish (of any type)
  2. 200 ml of santan (I purchased Ayam brand. I small box equals to 200 ml. Mix it with 2-3 cups of water depending on how much condensates you want it to be)
  3. salt to taste
  4. 1 onion and a couple of garlic
Procedure for cooking the gravy for laksam:
  1. Steam or boil the fish. If you boil the fish, don't throw the water. You'll need it to mix it with the fish later
  2. Debone the fish
  3. In a blender, put the fish you've already debone. Add water (as I recommended in no. 1)
  4. Use sieve to sift the fish and bones 
  5. Concerning the bones, don't just throw it like that. Instead, blend it altogether so that you can add also it in the gravy. It's much tastier. Trust me! So, you need to sieve and sieve until you really sure that it is really VERY FINE.

Serving:
  1. In a plate, cut laksam using scissor. You may need 2-3 roles of laksam for one serving
  2. Pour a ladle or two of kuah laksam onto it 
  3. Spread, cabbage or cucumber, belacan (shrimp paste) and grind chillies on it. Alternatively you may use long beans as well.
I really love laksam. And this is a worth of a cooking experiment!


No comments:

Post a Comment